POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gas Burner : Re: Gas Burner Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:21:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gas Burner
From: scott
Date: 30 Mar 2004 17:01:20
Message: <4069ee30@news.povray.org>
Steve Shelby wrote:
> I got many good suggestions in my previous post, "gas flame (needs
> help)", and after much experimenting, I ended up using something
> completely different. I looked closely at the gas flame on my own
> kitchen stove and observed that it appears to have no thickness at
> all. So I made a mesh with no thickness and then experimented with
> different textures. the flame in the attached image has an ambient
> value of 1.0, which makes it appear to be emitting light even though
> the light is completely blocked.
> Steve Shelby

Just having a quick look at my gas hob the flame seems to be made from
almost two separate bits.  The first bit is quite opaque light blue (you
can't see through it like you can in your image), then a second bigger flame
is transparent lighter blue.  I think if you did another set of flame
segments, each starting from the same position as the original ones, but
maybe half the size, more opaque and lighter blue, that might look quite
good.

I guess you could take a photo, it's quite hard to tell just by looking at
the flame!